Prof. Dr. Tanja Franken
Prof. Dr. Tanja Franken studied Chemistry at the RWTH Aachen University from 2006 to 2012. She conducted her studies on spinel-based materials for the decomposition of N2O at the Institute for Technical and Macromolecular Chemistry and received her PhD with distinction in 2016. Since then she focused on heterogeneous catalyst development based on supported and complex mixed metal catalyst for environmental and energy-related applications. In 2016 she joined the Zurich University of Applied Sciences (ZHAW) in Winterthur, Switzerland, to develop sulfur tolerant NO-oxidation catalysts and to study CO2 hydrogenation catalysts. During this time she deepened her knowledge of catalysts based on mixed metal oxides and made first steps in electrochemical applications of perovskite based materials. In 2019 she joined the “Applied Catalysis and Spectroscopy” group at Paul Scherrer Institut in Villigen, Switzerland, to investigate the surface dynamics of CH4 oxidation catalysts and deepen her knowledge in operando characterization techniques. Since 2020 Prof. Dr. Tanja Franken is an assistant professor for “Catalytic and Electrocatalytic Systems and Processes” at FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg. Her research interest is focused on the investigation and stabilization of highly active transient and metastable surface properties of mixed metal oxide-based catalysts for the efficient production of sustainable fuels and basic chemicals to drive future energy change.
- Since 09/2020: Assistant professor for Catalytic and Electrocatalytic Systems and Processes, Department of Chemical & Biological Engineering Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nürnberg (FAU), Germany
- 11/2019 – 07/2020: Postdoctoral Researcher at Applied Catalysis and Spectroscopy (ACS) group, Paul Scherrer Institut (PSI), Villigen Switzerland
- 06/2016 – 10/2019: Researcher at Laboratory for Process Technology, Zurich University of Applied Sciences (ZHAW), Winterthur, Switzerland
- 06/2012 – 12/2015: Research Assistant and PhD Studies in heterogeneous Catalysis and Technical Chemistry (Dr. rer. Nat. with distinction) in the Group of Prof. Dr. Palkovits, Institute of Technical and Macromolecular Chemistry (ITMC), RWTH-Aachen University, Germany
- 10/2006 – 05/2012: Bachelor- and Master-Studies in Chemistry
RWTH-Aachen University, Germany